The RS485 CAN HAT will enable your Pi to communicate with other devices stably in long-distance via RS485/CAN functions.
RS485 is one of the most robust wired serial communication protocol that can support distance up to 1200 meters (4000 ft) while CAN (Controller Area Network) is used in automotive that offer high immunity to noise in cars.
Yes, this board support both RS485 and CAN, bidirectional communication. You can use both the standards/protocols at the same time because each of them uses different peripherals for communication. CAN controller uses SPI while RS485 uses UART from Raspberry Pi.
- Standard Raspberry Pi 40PIN GPIO extension header, supports Raspberry Pi series boards
- CAN function, onboard CAN controller MCP2515 via SPI interface, onboard transceiver SN65HVD230
- RS485 function, controlled via UART, half-duplex communication, supports automatic TX/RX control without programming, onboard transceiver SP3485
- Onboard TVS (Transient Voltage Suppressor), effectively suppress surge voltage and transient spike voltage in the circuit for RS485 transceiving, lightning-proof & anti-electrostatic
- Reserved control pins, allows working with other control boards
- Comes with development resources and manual (examples in wiringPi/python)
1 x Waveshare RS485 CAN HAT
1 x RPi screws pack (2pcs)