The Raspberry Pi Power over Ethernet HAT is a small accessory for the Raspberry Pi computer. It can only be used with the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ (launched March 2018). The PoE HAT allows you to power your Raspberry Pi using Power over Ethernet–enabled networks; for this product to be used, the network it is connected to needs to have power-sourcing equipment installed.
The HAT connects to the Raspberry Pi 3B+ 0.1” headers: the 40-way GPIO; and the new 4-pin header near the USB connectors, which allows you to power the system using your Ethernet cable.
- Power over Ethernet (PoE) 802.3af Compliant
- Class 2 Device
- Fully Isolated Switched-Mode Power Supply (SMPS)
- Input Voltage: 36V – 56V
- Output Voltage: 5V
- Output Current: Up to 2.5A
- Integrated Fan Control and 25mm x 25mm Brushless Fan
- Plug-and-Play Compatibility with Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
Power over Ethernet
Power over Ethernet is a widely adopted standard that places power on the Ethernet cable along with the data. It has no effect on the data, so you won’t lose bandwidth by using PoE. There are various standards of PoE; this HAT uses the most common standard 802.3af, which allows delivery of up to 15W. This means that the HAT is capable of providing all the power needed for running your Raspberry Pi. You will need power sourcing equipment to power your Pi. This is either provided by your network switch or with power injectors on an Ethernet cable.
Using the PoE HAT
The HAT is a compact, single-sided board that sits within the footprint of the Raspberry Pi. It will fit comfortably inside an official Raspberry Pi case. A small (25mm) fan is pre-installed on the board. We see the product as a useful component for people building systems that may be in tougher environments, so the addition of the fan helps with cooling. The fan is controlled over I2C via a small ATMEL processor which allows for it to be temperature-controlled: when your Raspberry Pi processor hits certain temperatures, the fan will be turned on to cool it down. To enable this you will need to get the latest firmware (sudo RPI-update).
Because the fan is controlled over I2C, none of the GPIO is used, so you can stack a second HAT on top of the connector. To do this you will need to buy some longer pass-through headers that expose the pins on the other side of the PoE HAT. You will need one for the 40-way and one for the 4-way connector that has the PoE splitters on it.
How to Use
- Raspberry Pi PoE HAT (this product)
- A Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ (not included)
- An Ethernet cable (not included)
- Power-sourcing equipment for an 802.3af Power over Ethernet network (not included)
Connecting your PoE HAT to the Raspberry Pi
- Before installing the PoE HAT, you must attach the supplied spacers in the four corners of the board
- Then connect the Raspberry Pi PoE HAT to the two 0.1” headers (40 + 4) that are fitted on the Raspberry Pi
- Once the PoE HAT board is connected, you can power the Raspberry Pi through its RJ45 network connector
Disconnecting your PoE HAT
- Pull evenly so that it detaches from all the pins at the same rate; do not pull one end of the connector off before the other
- No modification to the main Raspberry Pi board is needed for this product to work. Please ensure that your Raspberry Pi’s software is up to date for all functionality to be available.
- The PoE HAT is fitted with a small fan that is controlled by the Raspberry Pi via I2C.
- The fan will turn on and off automatically depending on the temperature of the main processor on the Raspberry Pi.
- Shall only be powered using 802.3af-compliant power sourcing equipment; any external power supply used with the Raspberry Pi shall comply with relevant regulations and standards applicable in the country of intended use.
- Should be operated in a well-ventilated environment, and should not be covered.
- Should be placed on a stable, flat, non-conductive surface while in use, and should not be contacted by conductive items.
- Do not block or obstruct the fan; Do not insert anything into the fan at any time.
- Do not expose the product to water or moisture; Do not expose it to heat from any source; the product is designed for reliable operation at normal room temperatures.
- Take care whilst handling to avoid mechanical or electrical damage to the printed circuit board and connectors.
1 x Raspberry Pi PoE HAT.
1 x Mechanical Spacers Set.
There are no reviews yet.